Having a home in a beach area like Hilton Head Island brings with it a different lifestyle. From the decor to the annual maintenance and upkeep, here are some tips to get the best out of beach living.
1. Even if you don’t live right on the beach, chances are there will still be plenty of days spent on the sand! What does that mean for your home? Sandy floors and carpets. Help to avoid the daily vacuuming by:
- Having (and using) an outside shower.
- Keeping extra towels outside.
- Keeping a refrigerator in your garage stocked with beverages to avoid having to go in and out of the house.
- Having a place to set down beach bags and shoes so the sand that’s on them doesn’t leave a trail to wherever they end up.
- Having hooks available to hang towels, hats and other beach gear.
2. Use low-maintenance grasses and shrubs to minimize time spent tending to the landscaping.
3. Don’t let the bugs of summer or rays from the hot sun keep you indoors. A screened-in porch will not only allow you to enjoy more of the outdoors, but it will be a selling feature should you decide to move.
4. Help keep moisture from building up in your indoor storage spaces and bathrooms by leaving the doors cracked or even open all the way when you’re guest free. Use ceiling fans if you have them and make sure to seal windows and doors.
5. Opt for stainless steel nails and screws on the exterior of your home (including decks and docks) to avoid the rust stains you’ll find with galvanized fasteners.
6. Don’t let mother nature decrease the life of your outdoor furniture and water toys. Make sure to go through the proper winterizing procedures so you can enjoy them again next Spring.
Living on or near the beach is a lifestyle many dream of. If you’re one of the ones who have made that dream come true, make the most of it by using these simple tips. If you’re relocating to Hilton Head Island, here are a few moving day tips and home ownership tips!
My name is June Seebohm and I am an experienced Realtor serving the Hilton Head Island and Bluffton, SC area’s. I am happy to help you in any way that I can in regards to learning about our beautiful area, as well as any and all of your real estate needs or questions! Please don’t hesitate to contact me via email: email@example.com or call 843-290-2929. I also have a Facebook Page and would love to connect with you there. Whether you are a vacationer, resident, buyer, seller, or current home owner/renter interested in the Hilton Head area, this is a blog you’ll want to follow!