Let me start by saying that tip #1 is to check your credit report every year. Don’t wait until you’re ready to start the pre-approval process. How are you going to know if the information on your report is accurate if you don’t check it?
You can check your credit report once a year for free at annualcreditreport.com.
Tips for Disputing Errors on Your Credit Report
- Don’t wait to correct the errors! As soon as you’re aware of a mistake, start following the steps to dispute it.
- Assume the error is on each of your three credit reports and check them right away to confirm.
- Closely check your reports for any other errors. Don’t assume this is the only one.
- Be able to prove the error. Depending on the nature of the mistake, you may need things like receipts, credit card statements, phone bills, or other proof.
- Be prepared to keep track of any and all correspondence regarding the credit report error. You could use one file folder for each of the three credit bureaus, keeping track of all phone calls, letters, emails; everything that happens during the dispute.
- If the error involves identity theft like credit cards you didn’t open, put a fraud alert on your file. You do that by calling each of the credit bureaus and telling them individually. Find out what the procedures are to file your dispute. ALSO, file a police report and fill out a theft report with the Federal Trade Commission .
- Be sure to file a dispute with the business that made the error, and find out what the correct procedure is to rectify the mistake.
You put time and effort into keeping your credit intact. Even a simple mistake on your credit report could hurt you, so don’t wait until you start house hunting to make sure everything is accurate!
Have you ever had to file a dispute? Do you have any other tips to add?
My name is June Seebohm and I am an experienced Realtor serving the Hilton Head Island and Bluffton, SC area’s. I am happy to help you in any way that I can in regards to learning about our beautiful area, as well as any and all of your real estate needs or questions! Please don’t hesitate to contact me via email: email@example.com or call 843-290-2929. I also have a Facebook Page and would love to connect with you there. Whether you are a vacationer, resident, buyer, seller, or current home owner/renter interested in the Hilton Head area, this is a blog you’ll want to follow!