You don’t have to redesign your entire landscape to give it an update that will make an impact. A few changes here, the addition of planters there, and your Lowcountry curb appeal can have a modern look.
One way to update your curb appeal is to bring in ornamental grasses and swap overgrown shrubs for smaller ones. These six shrubs and grasses are all low-maintenance and can be found throughout South Carolina.
Sometimes just the removal of weeds and the addition of some ornamental grass can be enough to update your curb appeal. Grasses are perfect to create planters for an entrance or deck, or to stand alone in your yard or flower bed.
- Fountain Grass – these low-maintenance grasses come in a variety of types, but each of them would be a complimenting choice to your landscape.
- Northern Sea Oats – While this type of ornamental grass spreads rapidly, it is tolerant of salt spray from the ocean, making it a welcome choice. Another benefit is its extensive system of stems and roots underground that helps to reduce erosion. You only need a small bit if using in a planter.
- Hair Grass – This ornamental grass will add a pinkish-purple color to your landscaping, and can also be used as a stand alone plant.
- Indian Hawthorne – This low maintenance evergreen shrub does best in full sun and once established, is tolerant of droughts.
- George Tabor Azalea – This shrub grows quicker than other azaleas and withstands the heat and sun we have in Hilton Head.
- Banana Shrub – This shrub smells exactly like its name, is low-maintenance, and can be planted in sun or shade.
These are just a few of the many options you have to beautify your Lowcountry home. From the smallest of changes to the major projects, your landscaping can be beautiful, unique, and easy to take care of. The information in this post can be credited to davesgarden.com, on which you can find hundreds of other plant choices for South Carolina.
My name is June Seebohm and I am an experienced Realtor serving the Hilton Head Island and Bluffton, SC area’s. I am happy to help you in any way that I can in regards to learning about our beautiful area, as well as any and all of your real estate needs or questions! Please don’t hesitate to contact me via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843-290-2929. I also have a Facebook Page and would love to connect with you there. Whether you are a vacationer, resident, buyer, seller, or current home owner/renter interested in the Hilton Head area, this is a blog you’ll want to follow!