Leather furniture has long been a favorite of home owners and can be kept looking its best with a little knowledge of the right (and wrong) things to do. Since leather typically lasts four times longer than fabric, it’s a perfect furniture choice no matter what type of family you have.
Benefits of Leather
- Recommended for allergy sufferers because fabric harbors dust mites.
- Leather is comfortable and soothing.
- Has a strength that cannot be matched with other fabrics.
- Leather absorbs and releases moisture through fibers and pores.
- Will actually get more comfortable over time.
- Leather is a classic look in just about any home and with any decor.
Maintenance of Leather
- Do not use soap or heavily soak stains with water, as this could cause more damage than the actual stain.
- Wipe leather furniture down with a sponge barely dampened with distilled water (not tap water) a few times a year. Then moisturize the furniture with a conditioner made for your particular type of leather.
- Never put leather furniture where the sunlight will hit it directly, as the light will dry it out. This also goes for radiators, fireplaces, or other sources of heat.
- If you have little ones at home, be sure to keep away buckles and other clothing items that could tear the leather.
- Take precaution with your pets; animals nails could scratch the leather.
- Use dry cloths to dust the leather.
- For oil, grease, or butter stains, use a clean, dry cloth to wipe it off. Do not use water! The spot should start to disappear if left alone.
- Remove spills as quickly as possible with a clean absorbent cloth or sponge.
Leather furniture will outlast other types of fabric, as long as you do your part to keep it looking its best! Do you have any other tips for maintaining leather furniture?
My name is June Seebohm and I am an experienced Realtor serving the Hilton Head Island and Bluffton, SC area’s. I am happy to help you in any way that I can in regards to learning about our beautiful area, as well as any and all of your real estate needs or questions! Please don’t hesitate to contact me via email: email@example.com or call 843-290-2929. I also have a Facebook Page and would love to connect with you there. Whether you are a vacationer, resident, buyer, seller, or current home owner/renter interested in the Hilton Head area, this is a blog you’ll want to follow!
Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net